Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thank God it's 9 Months

I have the day off today and I've just finished my breakfast, so thought it was a good time to sit down and write my first entry. As of today I am... (quick check on The Bump app)... 207 days pregnant! My baby's food size equivalent is a butternut squash. That leaves me with 73 more days to go (give or take a few weeks)!

I feel like I've been pregnant forever. I'll think back to an event from last summer and then realize I was pregnant back then too. But I think I get the whole 9 months thing. Sure it takes that long for the bun to fully cook. But more importantly, it's a good amount of time to get your head around the fact that you're having a baby. The first couple months was all about being pregnant, I just wanted to know what was going on in my body, I zoomed through What to Expect When You're Expecting excitedly looking at what was to come. Reading and rereading the write up for each week, totally mesmerized with what was happening in my body.

Then one day a few months later I thought I'd look up some essentials lists for a baby registry. After one look at some essentials lists on line, this was pretty much my reaction.


It sounds so ridiculous, but it finally dawned on me that there was a baby coming after all this being pregnant stuff. And with that baby all these things, things I had no clue about, had never heard of.

I quickly closed my tabs and decided that the registry could probably wait a while. And embarrassingly, I still haven't finished it! I did eventually start it, but oh man, the choices for everything!! The research that goes in to choosing a car seat alone! Each item was a morning's work on it's own. But I'm almost there. And baby, I promise you you will have all you need by the time you get here!

So yes, 9 months. THANK GOD! Hubby and I went to the Exploritorium last week. In the section all about gestation was a display of a little fish, to which I forget it's name. But they take just 48 hours to full gestation! All I could think was "Bless you little fishy mama!". I totally realize that in comparison to the lifelong challenge of motherhood, these 9 months will seem like a blink of an eye in retrospect. But being in it right now. I can't help but be grateful for each day I have. Just to enjoy the miracle of pregnancy, for the natural process that happens physically and mentally in preparing for motherhood. I can't wait to meet this little one, but I want to cherish this time that I have with the baby inside of me. I hear one day they grow up and you don't see them all that much. So I'm savoring this time, the beginning of this relationship where we're one. Gosh, little ones not even out yet and I'm dreading letting it go already! (Not to objectify baby by calling it "it" but we don't know the gender yet).

So there you go. Pregnancy is a practice of going with the flow. Of letting time take it's course. And you know what I almost feel like I am a bit more patient these days. Though I'm sure once motherhood is in full swing that probably goes too. I should tell hubby to appreciate this version of me while it lasts!


2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha what the hell is a bjorn, hilarious.

    What about this:

    http://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII/ref=zg_bs_baby-products_2

    You should have put it on your registry...one of my friends said something about sucking snot out of their baby's nose the other day. Outside I said "Really?", inside I said "ewwwwwwwww"

    This looks useful too:

    http://www.amazon.com/Pee-pee-Teepee-Monkey-Cellophane-Diaper/dp/B004UGM6TS/ref=sr_1_12?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1330496574&sr=1-12

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a nose sucker of sorts on the registry. I know, the first time I heard of snot sucking I was in shock!

    Hahahaha that tee pee thing is too funny! If I have a boy I'm getting it!!

    ReplyDelete